Monday, April 03, 2006

WesBands of the Past and Present: ANDY

The first band I ever encountered at Wesleyan was ANDY. I was at WesFest when a girl from the community service office invited me to her show later that night. This girl was Zoe!, one of two female vocalists of ANDY, a Ska band on campus.

I was probably over Ska by that point of my life, but ANDY took me to a nice place. I would skank all over the place any time I heard a song. At their final concert, I threw myself to the front of the crowd, dancing half-naked in the dark WestCo Cafe. I was flailing about so wildly that I almost knocked down the sound equipment. I had such friend crushes on the lead singers that it was borderline actual crush. My friends made fun of me for it. I had many awkward experiences because of it.

For example, once I went to audition for Vocal Debauchery, Zoe's acappella group. I wrote on my audition sheet something along the lines of, "I love Zoe, and I heard she wasn't going to be at this audition which is good because if she was I'd probably pee my pants." She was there. Fortunately, I didn't pee my pants. I didn't get into the group either.
  • ANDY- E.mail My Heart: This is a cover of a song from Britney Spears' debut album. The original is probably the worst song that Britney Spears has ever done, but this version takes it to a new level. A heavenly level.
  • ANDY- Washington St: Washington St is a street on the edge of the campus. Some people live on the other side of it, and have to cross the street to get to classes and the rest of Wesleyan. This song must have been inspired by it. It has a nice little "ba-ba-da-da-ba-ba" bridge in it.
  • ANDY- Pizzas: The epitome of dork rock. A song about being in love with the boy in The Neverending Story. It namedrops Falcor, Atreyu, and The Swamps of Sadness. This was my favorite.
Unfortunately, most of ANDY's membership have graduated and moved on in life. They no longer make music together, but you may be able to track down a copy of their album Makes the Cut once you get onto campus. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home